2016 May Goals: Prune and Grow
April brought so much newness. We finished our garden, planted the little plants that we had grown from seed, and I propagated everything that I possibly could. We have basil, peppermint, succulents, and a cute little house plant just starting out over our kitchen sink. I have loved watching the soil open up to little plants!
I made a mess. I put my little spade into the ground and I made a mess. Friends, let me tell you that there is nothing quite as freeing as a beautiful mess.
The words for my 2016 year are "simple life." I was so resistant to this at first because I wanted the hustle. But God is so good to show me what I really need! I don't need more, more, more. I just need Him. I chose two words for this month: prune and grow. Are you noticing a garden theme here yet? Ha!
I want to prune and make room for new growth. I want to prune so that I can make room for long-lasting growth. I am going to prune so that I can grow.
It's time to trim, cull, and cut off. Hello, freedom! I will do this by cutting back on the things that aren't essential so that I can make time for the things that are!
- Prune the basil and tomatoes! Obviously. Ha!
- Leave my phone on the nightstand after Daniel goes to sleep. Spend quality time with Isaac! Just the two of us. No distractions.
- People over routine. Say "yes" to relationships that are full of fruit! I want to invest in our friends. We love them so much and if we aren't careful, we get caught in a long checklist. I don't want an unfinished yard, dirty floor, or simple meal to keep us from spending time with our friends anymore! We are going to block off an evening/afternoon for friends each week so that other things don't fill that space!
- Less TV. Read the Word, business books, and fiction instead of more TV. Learn. These things are life to me and it's time I treat them as such!
- Simple dinners. I love cooking and experimenting! But I also love going on long walks with Isaac and Daniel, being in the garden, and reading before the sun goes down. I think it's time for 1-2 "fancy" meals (picture curried zuccini soup, red thai curry, or gyros) and a lot more salads!
- Empty the dishwasher at night. I want to do this so that I can spend more time playing and reading to Daniel before his first nap. More rocking, more chasing, and more playing!
I want to do more of what fires me up! I love serving our family, resting, giving, trying new things, and being outside.
- Celebrate my birthday!! TOMORROW! Guys, I turn the big 2-5! I will be a quarter of a century old!!
- Learn to make Thai curry
- Take a Sabbath each week
- Throw Isaac a graduation party
- Take Isaac to Wickman's Garden Village!There is this adorable nursery in Springfield that I just discovered. I spent some time there one afternoon and want to take Isaac back! I imagine us walking Daniel in the stroller and talking to each other. Talking is such a luxury these days!
- Go see my grandma
- Meal plan each week
- Road trip to PA as a family and pick a word for the trip!